RELEVANT SERVICES. INNOVATIVE THINKING. EFFECTIVE RESULTS.
What makes us different
We provide day to day support from experienced lawyers who have spent significant time working as part of a team inside some of the world’s top companies. Our business model makes it possible for you to call us whenever you need us – without fear. Working with creative founders each day motivates us to practice law differently. We think strategically, embrace flexibility, and design elegant solutions in the face of constraints.
Our past successes help to explain the type of support we can provide our clients. Discover the solutions we developed within this Case Study: Pacific Content Case Study
How we can help
- We negotiate and draft commercial contracts, licensing agreements, and end user agreements.
- We design and build legal frameworks from scratch for start-ups, within budget and with business goals in mind.
- We optimize commercial deal flows for companies of all sizes.
- We use our experience working as part of in-house teams to give contextualized, practical advice.
- We analyze risk and create targeted plans to address key risks within your available legal budget.
- We offer unique expertise in recorded music licensing, SaaS, live performances and venue agreements, social enterprise & broadcast distribution.
- We provide on-site support in the GTA, Montreal, and Waterloo.
Inter Alia started working with Pacific Content Company in 2016, just shortly after the company was founded.
Pacific Content is an award-winning podcast agency working passionately at the intersection of brand strategy and high-quality audio storytelling. They have created podcasts for companies like Slack, Dell, and Facebook, and were recently acquired by Rogers Media.
When Inter Alia first met Pacific Content, Pacific Content did not know what was required from a legal perspective and how to manage their risks within their budget. They didn’t really know where to start. They described themselves as “overwhelmed by lawyers and the scope of work leading to inevitable huge bills which we would incur if we called and asked the questions we needed to ask“.
INTER ALIA LAW VIEW
We wanted to help Pacific Content bring their brilliant idea to life by using legal as an enhancement to their business model and a tool to help define the company’s brand voice, culture and reputation. We used the contract framework to amplify the culture of easy and relationship-focused deal-making they wanted to create.
HOW WE WORKED TOGETHER
According to Rob Leadley, Pacific Content Company’s CFO/COO, “Inter Alia worked with us virtually as if they were part of our team from day one, hands off when necessary, and hands on/immediately responsive when necessary. They helped us understand risk, but also gave practical advice on what that risk meant, and suggested ways to minimize it. Inter Alia’s strategic approach to legal services made the legal arm of our business a competitive advantage.”
To find out how we did this, CONTACT US. We’ll provide our detailed case study for your review and do an initial consultation on how we can help you.
- Pacific Content was acquired by Rogers Media in early 2019.
- The case study is a proof point for the idea that a small investment in setting up a good legal infrastructure for a company in the early days is possible, at a reasonable budget, and can be a key driver of additional value in an exit scenario.